When Jehovah sent Moses to deliver the children of Israel from Egypt, He told him, “Thus shall you say to the children of Israel, I AM has sent me to you” (Exo. 3:14). The Jehovah of the people of Israel, the One who is their God and wants to relate to them and have them as His people, is the I AM.
God is the I AM – He is the self existing One and the ever existing One, the only One who exists by Himself without any help or support from any other being. His being depends on nothing apart from Himself. God is the ever-existing One – He exists eternally, having neither beginning nor ending.
Only God is qualified to have this name – I AM – which is actually the verb “TO BE”. Only God is – we are just vanity, and all things are just chasing after the wind (Eccl. 1:2). We are not self-existent (we cannot exist by ourselves, we depend on God to exist) and we are not ever-existent(we have a beginning and we have an end as human beings).
Furthermore, he who comes forward to God needs to believe that God is (Heb. 11:6b). This is such a simple requirement – for us to touch God, know God, and experience God, we need to belive that God is! And God in the New Testament age is now Jesus Christ – Jehovah our Savior! Jesus is Jehovah! In John 8:58 we see this clearly,
Jesus said to them, Truly, truly, I say to you, Before Abraham came into being, I am.
Jesus IS – He is the great I AM, Jehovah God, coming to be our salvation and our everything! Nothing else in the universe exists – only God is! No one else exists – only He is! And He is not only self-existing and ever-existing, but He is the I AM to be whatever we need! Jesus is Jehovah the great I AM to be all we need! He clearly said it in so many verses in the New Testament:
- I am .. the life (John 14:6a) – Jesus as the great I AM is the life! He is not just “life”, but THE LIFE! There’s no life in the universe without Him or apart from Him!
- I am the resurrection (John 11:25) – the Lord Jesus as Jehovah is not just life, but life that passed through death and came out of death victoriously – He is the resurrection!
- I am the door (John 10:7, 9) – the Lord Jesus as the Great I AM is the way for us to come to God, the entrance – we come to God through Him! He is the way, and He is the destination!
- I am the good Shepherd (John 10:11) – the Lord Jesus as Jehovah is the One who takes care of all the needs of His people, and He is The Good Shepherd – there’s no other shepherd but Him!
- I am the bread of life (John 6:35) – The Lord Jesus as the Great I Am is the bread of life, the bread that gives life – even the reality of our food! He’s the real food!
And there are many other verses where the Lord Jesus presents Himself to us as our everything – He is the I AM, the One who is Everything TO US! All we need to do today is to enjoy Him – come to Him in faith, believe into Him, be organically united with Him, and enjoy Him! O Lord Jesus! – the best way to enjoy this “blank cheque” that can meet all our needs is to call upon the name of the Lord!
Without Him, we are vanity; but when we have Him, we have all we need! This is the glad tidings – the Christ revealed in the Bible, Christ as Jehovah the great I AM! [enjoyment from the Crystallization-Study of Isaiah (2)]
Lord, thank You for being all we need! Keep us enjoying You today! Lord, show us how much You are and can be to us! You indeed are, Lord, and we are not! We come to You in faith, believing that You are! We need You, Lord! Thank You for being all we need! Only You meet our needs – we want to enjoy You as the great I AM! Hallelujah, Lord, You are!
Latest posts by aGodMan (see all)
- The Work of the Holy Spirit can be Revealed at the Time of Ministering to the Lord - October 19, 2017
- Ministering to the Lord not by Human Effort or Sweat but in God’s Rest and Blessing - October 18, 2017
- Ministering to the Lord by Drawing Near to Him and Spending Time with Him in Prayer - October 17, 2017